The word Occoquan, meaning "at the end of the water," came from the Dogue Indian language. Occoquan School was named after the town in which it was first established, just minutes away from its present location. The first Occoquan School was opened between 1901 and 1909 within the town of Occoquan. It was replaced by the current, larger school building in 1927.
The high school portion of the building served a large geographic area, including Quantico, Triangle, Woodbridge, Dumfries and Occoquan. The elementary grades served only students from the immediate area. High school students attended Occoquan School until 1953, when grades eight through twelve moved to the new Gar-Field High School. In the mid-1960's, students in grades six and seven left the school to attend Fred Lynn Middle School.* Occoquan now houses grades kindergarten through five in three separate buildings.
Address: Occoquan Rd, Woodbridge, VA 22192